September - the real beginning of the year - is only two weeks away. By then most people will be back at work or school, and the long winding road towards Christmas will begin yet again. In anticipation of "I can't believe that summer's already over" syndrome, here are a few things to look forward to this fall:
1. Oxo Mandoline – Versatile, easy to use and no more missing fingers (or so they claim).
2. Bouchon - Thomas Keller's highly anticipated cookbook on French bistro cuisine.
3. Tru - A new cookbook by Rick Tramonto and Gale Gand of Chicago's Tru.
4. On Food and Cooking - Harold McGee's latest revision of his 'classic tome of gastronomic science and lore.'
5. The opening of Grant Achatz's Alinea in Chicago. While it doesn't open until 2005, check out the restaurant's action-packed trailer on its website.
6. Decoding Ferran Adrià - Anthony Bourdain's documentary profiling Spain's famed Restaurante El Bulli, and its chef/owner Ferran Adrià, arguably the world's most innovative chef.